Sunday, January 11, 2009

Guinea Pig Basics






Here's some basics!!

First when thinking about getting a guinea pig think about these questions?

A.) Will I have enough time to take care of my guinea pig?

B.) Do I have enough money to buy supplies?

C.) Will I research more about them?
Info
Before You Get A Guinea Pig You Need To Know The Basics!

Do You Know These Parts?




OK, here's some basics that you may/may not know.

Housing


Though you may not know guinea pigs need a home simply with:
  • A House (A dark place for your piggie to hide)
  • A Food Bowl & Water Bottle

  • Chewing treats
Nutrition

Piggies aren't a very good nutritionist so here is a good meal to give them:
  • 4 spoon fulls of food

  • 2 carrots
  • 2 hand fulls of Romaine Lettuce


This is per day. I find it helpful to push the food through the cracks at the top of the cage


Socializing With Your Piggie

Guinea Pigs need lots of love and attention.You must make this happen.
Play with your piggie everyday.(Or as many times as you can.)Not much
to say about this just play with your piggie!


Paring Piggies

Guinea Pigs (like most humans) like to be around another one of their kind. So its best to have 2 or 3 in one area. Make sure their all males or females:(Unless they are spayed/neutered) NOTE:Only one male can be in a cage. Or breeding may occur. Also be sure that the cage is big enough for all. If you already have a adult it's best to pair it with a baby because babies are not as dominant as adults.

Accidentally Breeding May Occur!

Ok this portion of the site is to prevent and help breeding guinea pigs.

Leave a comment with pet stores that gave you a pregnant guinea pig!
This will prevent people from buying a pregnant guinea pig.

Currently No comments were left.

What to look for when buying your guinea pig.


Signs

Kicks in the stomach area.
Very Fat.
Drinks a lot of water.

Tighten abdomen area.
Difficult Moving.

If any of these signs are very likely then inform the staff.
Most staff are not informed at pet stores so never trust them.
If they say 2 females or 2 males don't trust them you needs to
check for yourself.

How to help!

So it's already to late don't worry. You probably want to help your little pig.
Did you already know she was pregnant? Maybe Not here's how you can help.

Avoid handling your piggies at all times!


She should deliver just fine but in case she doesn't call your vet.

NOTE: She may deliver at any time. If you got her from a pet store and they didn't tell you and there's no other way that she could get pregnant then you have the right to bring them back!

If you got her from a breeder and they didn't tell and you have no other way she could get pregnant then you have the right to give the pups to the breeder
.


Question Or Concerns!

Look I know there's a lot of things I didn't cover here so just send a message to
petluver07@ymail.com Subject:Piggie Question!









Photo Contest!!!





Your guinea pig could be a star!! E-mail your entry to Petluver07@ymail.com requirments below.

(If possible have the picture under 10MB)
*Guinea Pigs Name
*Your First Name *=Required
Your last Name
*Guinea Pigs approx. age
Story

Guinea Pigs will be divided up into three catagorys 0-2 year olds 3-5 year olds 6+. Hope you enjoy the contest!

Winners will be on the site December 29th














click for <span class=sacramento
web design" src="http://www.website-hit-counters.com/cgi-bin/image.pl?URL=139011-6439" border=0>

30 comments:

  1. omg...... this helps so much i have 2 and they are adoribal

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so want a piggie and this has helped alot thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank u. im planning to get one and i didnt know anything about them until now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting this,
    I have one female already but I'm looking to get a second female. I'll be sure to check and make sure it's female ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks alot... i am getting one, and this helped alot... and it was short, and coverd the basics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Just adopted my first piggie. It came from a home where the dad and child moved out and left it there with no air conditioning for months and someone came and dumped food inside for it so it was really lonely. I know nothing about them but after a good bath and a clean cage and a lot of attention I think it is warming to me (purring a lot). Few questions.Do they need a wheel or toys in their cage?..Is there a fool proof way to stop them from pooping on you or floor when playing with them (he likes me to hold him and pet him but he has peed on me).? What is the best way to put some weight on him? (he is very thin and his hair looks like he is falling out from malnutrition) Thanks so much for an help since I know nothing but this thing really needs some extra care! Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just got a piggie thx like so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. im 11 i convinced my parents that i was old enough for a pet in my room. this helped alot when the quized me to make sure i was ready. thanks a million!

    -Guinea♥r

    ReplyDelete
  9. g-force got me interrested im guines i love pets i have 2 fish and 3 birds and a dog pets are very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank.............you....soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much this help me and my guinea pigs alot

    ReplyDelete
  11. i so want a piggie and this has helped alot thanks so much

    omg...... this helps so much i have 2 and they are adoribal

    PIMNTY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Everybody I would love if you joined me as fans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a Guinea Pig but i didnt know they had tais lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. my piggie is so cute if i call her name she squeaks really loud . . . awww

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have two piggies and at home my dad always talks to them. he hates all animals and the first couple of wks he warmed to them! we looked on this site and we worked through it together and now my guinea pigs are nearly 1 yr! thanks u helped a lot!!!!
    my piggies are called popcorn and tiny. can i do anything to stop them being so scared of me? i hae done evry thing, i still even get them out three times a day and i give them a handful of grass??? what am i doing wrong???

    ReplyDelete
  16. i want a guinea piggy so much, but im ten. i no how to take care of them beacause of this website and others!!! i want a brown and white one. so i can name it "Smores" or if its black and white ill name him "Oreo" by the way my name is eliza not elizabeth!! just ELIZA!!!!!!! ill be eleven in december. so ill be learning about them until my birthday. Thank you sooo much!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brandy,

    That's so sad, don't put and wheels in it's cage it will need chewing treats and a place to hide but the balls and wheels are built for hamsters not guinea pigs! I suggest chewing toys for guinea pigs. I would play with it alot maybe that's the reson why its peeing on you because its not used to you other than that no. Guinea Pigs need to keep near the same temperture range for intance it was 92* an hour later change it down to 88* don't go for 92* to 72* that would get the guinea pig uncomfortable. I would also feed him alot more often. Stop giving him baths that kill them. Get this spray that uses no water 100% shampoo without cleans them and makes them smell good. I would also take the guinea pig to a small animal hospatial that specializes in things like hamsters,guinea pigs, and ferrets in you area.

    Petluver07

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous with Popcorn and Tiny,

    Glad to hear your dad warmed up to them, a good way for them to like you is if you take them out of the cage and snuggle them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eliza,

    It sounds like your ready to get one but it your parents decision that matters not mine and whatever they pick you just will have to respect that

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love hearing everyones comment about how you love the website we almost have 10,000 views thanks for making the site awsome. Please become my fan remember if you ask question here or at my e-mail i'll try to answer them ASAP.

    Petluver07

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello,
    Its Eliza again. Thank you so much for the advice. I'll wait, but it is very hard. They are so cute! I love animals. My dog Betsy had basset hound puupies and we are selling them. We have 3 left. I play with them for about an hour every day. They are loving animals. Back to GUINEA PIGS. I have a few questions! How often do you give your Guinea Pig a bath? And how often do you clean their cage? Do you only feed them 4 spoon fulls of food, 2 carrots, and 2 hand fulls of Romaine Lettuce ONCE a day? From:Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  22. HELLO! i luv guinea pigs they r sooooooooooooooooooo cute im gonna get 2 next the summer i cant wait p.s i finally persuaded my dad!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi my name is megan i love your website ive just had to give away my rabbit because it was a nightmare so i just have the guinea pig that i had with the rabbit and it is sooooooooooo cute i cuddle it about 2 to 3 times a day it is brown and white and i've called it rodney. Today i mite be going to get another guinea pig and i want it to be a girl so i'll have baby guinea pigs but my mum wont let me.LOVE YOUR WEBSITE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much. i'm get a piggie for christmas and it will be so much fun to have a piggie because my parents were going to get me fish believe that i said no way 3 ssecond memory hello then they offered mice no way dad said it will attract the other mice thatt are rodents so he and mum said piggies i said finally a good answer piggies are cute and funny my friend has piggies and one of her piggie listens to music and like moves in time with the music so cute and funny i want to know instead of 2 carots is it good for 3 celeary sticks instead

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I suggest things with more vitamin C

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have no room inside for them But they have a mountian of hay outside Is that ok??

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous:I have no room inside for them But they have a mountian of hay outside Is that ok??]

    There is some exceptions on outside these are my guidelines even though i prefer them inside.

    -Inside a cage
    -The cage has to be stong and secure.
    -Try to make it water proof
    -Make it as durable as possible from the natural disasters in your area
    -The temperature stays the same inside the cage
    -No animals can get to it
    -Someone (that knows about guinea pigs) checks on it EVERYDAY, no matter what.

    Anononymous:guinea pigs dont have tails!

    They do but their short and stubby!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, my name's Kelly im 11 and I have had a guinea pig for over a year and I adopted him from a lady whose daughter moved out and left him behind.His name is Mr. Pig he is beautiful [and fat lolz]he poops on me all the time and he has peed on me twice.To stop him peeing on me I got him a small dog bed, and we lined it with some of the baby change table stuff [ water proof stuff ] and we put a towel in it and he snuggles into it.He loves it!
    Thanks ,Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Hey just leave your comments! Have fun with it!

Followers